As a non-profit Pets Without Parents relies heavily on volunteers to help keep the shelter running smoothly. Volunteers allow us to care for and house the animals, as well as help us with other needs.
Some volunteers and groups go above and beyond the call of duty. They organize projects or events that significanly help the shelter. One of these groups is OCLC, a non-profit library cooperative organization in Dublin, who came to the shelter about a week ago for Community Care Day.
In 2010, the group came to the shelter for the first time and painted two of our rooms. After such a successful year, the group decided to return again this year. This year the group helped paint the front dog room, as well as clean out our back building where we store our supplies. The group helped make the shelter more beautiful and better organized.
Peggy, one of the volunteers for the day, said “It’s obvious that the animals in the shelter are well-cared-for and well- loved. And the shelter has great leadership. I can’t speak highly enough of Meg (Volunteer Coordinator) who kept us all busy and Amy (Shelter Director) who is so clearly dedicated to the well-being of the all the animals in her care.”
The group put in a lot of hard work and we greatly appreciate everything they did for us! Volunteers included:
- Peggy (former parent to a Golden Retriever, a Beagle, two Yorkies and three cats)
- Ellen (parent to two Golden Retrievers and a cat)
- Sharon (currently pet-less but former parent to a Golden/Samoyed mix and a large white unknown mix with blue eyes)
- Jeff (former parent to 2 Black Labs and a cat)
- Susie (parent to three Chihuahuas)
- Nick (proud former parent to a Lab/Beagle mixed-breed)
- Robb (parent to Bella the Italian Greyhound, Daphne the Miniature Pinscher and Buddy the Shih-Tzu)
- Stephen (owned by two Dalmatians)
- Karen (former parent to Morgan, her sweet Bichon Frise)
- Stephanie (parent to a noisy Maine Coon)
In order for the group to paint we also had to have most of our dogs out of the shelter. Many volunteers stepped up and fostered dogs for the day. We thank these volunteers too! Without everyone working together, this day would not have been possible. We appreciate everyone’s help. The shelter and back building look amazing.
It is the volunteers that make Pets Without Parents possible! Thank you to all volunteers for everything you do!
Not a volunteer? Visit our website to find out how you can get involved!